1. i’ve been experimenting with different kinds of makeup, specifically foundation. i am looking to find the right type- liquid, powder, cream, matte, whatever. i start with a tinted SPF 45 moisturizer, and i want a foundation that plays nice with that.
2. my husband is wearing black knee-high compression socks with shorts today. at least he’s not wearing the sandals.
3. i forgot some clementines in my room that i meant to pack in my carry-on. i’d love to be eating one of those right now.
4. hawaii has these donut-like things called malasadas. they’re portuguese and fucking amazingly delicious.
5. i had a super foodie dinner last night with husbo, brother, and SIL. lobster ceviche, abalone risotto, ahi tataki, panzanella, mushroom steam buns, coconut sundae for dessert. very good, and not *too* terribly pretentious. just a little pretentious.
we’re leaving tonight. our flight leaves in six hours. we’ve checked out and are just hanging out enjoying the soft hawaiian air. jon and my dad and i are all sitting in the open-air lobby atrium on our devices in comfy chairs with outlets. my mom, brother, SIL, and kids are all at the beach squeezing every last drop out of this fab vaca.
i’m a little bit sad to be leaving, but it’s actually more anxiety about going back to my life and dealing with everything that i left behind. on the other hand, i think i’ve had enough of a break to approach all that life stuff with fresh eyes and recharged energy. i never feel one way about anything. well, hardly ever. it’s usually a more complicated mixed response.
thank you for being with me on the trip of my life. sharing my happiness/enthusiasm/excitement multiplies it.
because they totally are. there are a bunch of people from state farm who descended on the hotel yesterday. i think it’s like some performance reward kind of thing. or whatever, i don’t know. the point is that i have never overheard so many douchey conversations in my life! well, it was maybe two douchey conversations. and they involved the same guy both times. so one of them is definitely a huge douche. but that one guy is enough of a douchebag for me to judge them all in one fell swoop.
is that there were no beach umbrellas and chairs available when we got down here and we had to be on a waiting list to get some.
oh, and i forgot to put on my chacos when i walked down the beach a bit and the sand was really hot and it hurt a little.
and feeling crash-y. it was french toast with lots of real maple syrup. and worth it. because the only thing left to do today is sleep at the beach. ahhhhhhh.
this sun poisoning or hives or whatever it is. it’s not sunburn— i am only sunburned on the backs of my legs. but my arms and my chest and my neck and my back and my face, they’re all bumpy and it looks hideous. my face feels the worst.
this has happened before a few times when i’ve been on sunny/beachy vacations. i don’t think it’s a reaction to sunscreen because i’ve switched a lot and it happens regardless.
my mom has a significant sensitivity to sunlight, to the extent that she wears long shirts and pants always. they are specially designed sunblocking clothes, and she has fingerless gloves to protect her hands.
so i’m wondering what the fuck is up with this photosensitivity shit i’ve got going on. i am going to the beach tomorrow for my last full day of vaca and it better not get worse.
p.s. i’m so fucking tired I could die. or maybe not die, but just be real crabby and mean.
this afternoon we are going with the whole fam to go on some sort of submarine to look at fish and ocean stuff. i don’t know exactly what it is or how it works. we’re leaving in a few hours.
housekeeping is here in our room cleaning so we are out on the patio to stay out of the cleaner’s way. i got a bit of sand and some cereal and cracker crumbs in the bed so i asked her to change the sheets. yay fresh sheets night!
i went to a meeting with my mom (she’s a sober alcoholic too) this morning at 7:00. it was really cool. i mean, it was just a normal meeting, but to travel 4000 miles and feel totally at home with a group of strangers who speak my heart’s language is a really neat experience.
i don’t know what we’re going to do for the next few hours, but i do want to stay out of the sun. with my sunburn and sun reaction (sort of like hives), i think a break is needed. i would kind of like to nap since i woke up at 4:00, but there’s also a yoga class at 10:30 i’d like to go to. i’m quite torn. i will probably decide at 10:20 when it’s time to either skip it or get into my gear and walk to the studio.
my nephew (9.5) and niece (8) are currently learning how to scuba dive in the pool. i think that’s amazing and adorable.
have i mentioned how incredible this hotel and the entire trip is? well, it’s really fucking incredible.
and i didn’t particularly want to. i suppose my jet-lagged brain is confused. i do like getting up early— just not *this* early. the coffee shop opens at 5:30, so i could just kill an hour and then hang out there for awhile drinking my tea before i go to a meeting with my mom. i am still tired and yawny and not 100% awake, but even still i don’t feel like i can get back to sleep.
well, i guess we’ll see how much time I can spend writing this post and scrolling my dash.
• my legs hurt and i am an idiot for not putting sunscreen on them. i did, however, religiously and frequently apply sunscreen to my face, and wore a hat, and it’s a bit red there too. damn this hawaiian sun!
• my friend K is cleaning and organizing at my house while i’m gone. (i’m paying her to do it.) i can’t wait to see what she’s done when we get home.
• my car definitely won’t be fixed by the time i get home so i need to figure out a rental, blergh.
• this afternoon we are going on some sort of submarine ride to see ocean life. i don’t know what exactly it is or how it works but i hope i don’t get claustrophobic or have motion sickness.
• i’ve been having incidents of mild vertigo fairly frequently lately. i don’t fall down, it’s more like i just get confused about the orientation of my body in space. weird? please don’t suggest a diagnosis, because i won’t believe you anyway.
• i started reading *Hawaii* by james michener a couple days ago. i’m in about a hundred pages (out of 1300+ pages) and i don’t know if i’ll be able to finish it. historical fiction is not really my thing, particularly when the emphasis is on the history and not the fiction. i’ll give the rest of the trip to grab me. if i’m not fully engaged by the time we’re en route to the mainland, i’m reading something else on the plane.
• i don’t really like the term “life hack.” it doesn’t seem accurate. they’re just helpful hints for saving time, effort, or money. i think of them as “hints from heloise” because i’m old, old, old. does anyone else remember that column?
• i miss my kitty and my doge. especially sleeping with them.
• okay, maybe i will try to sleep again. seems pointless since my alarm will go off in 40 minutes, but i shall try nonetheless.
i don’t know if you can tell from this picture, but the backs of my legs are really fucking sunburned. and they hurt.
we had a weirdly unsatisfying dinner tonight. it was just the adults— kids were at “camp” for the evening. it was at this italian place down the road. at first they waited on us way too much, like refilling my water every time i took a sip. then, after we got our entrées… nothing. no one checked how our food was. we sat there for like 20 minutes after we had all finished our meals with the dirty plates on the table. i finally had to *ask* someone to clear our plates.
then we lounged and had coffee at the bar in the open air lobby of the hotel. it was lovely.
i think i’m going to take ambien tonight so i can hopefully sleep without waking every hour.
and i couldn’t wait so i peed in the tub. it’s all rinsed out now, don’t worry.
using depilatory on my upper lip when my skin was irritated from the sun— that may have been a mistake.